Fewer than half of the suggestions from a landmark public inquiry into Quebec’s youth safety providers have been totally or largely applied, says a five-year progress report launched Tuesday.
The Quebec authorities launched the inquiry in 2019 following the dying earlier that 12 months of a seven-year-old woman from Granby, Que., about 80 kilometres east of Montreal, who had died of asphyxiation after being wrapped in layers of duct tape.
The kid had been recognized to youth safety officers, who had left her within the custody of her father regardless of a number of experiences of violence. The killing sparked outrage, raised questions concerning the province’s capability to guard susceptible kids, and led to a wide-ranging inquiry into the youth safety system.
5 years after the publication of the inquiry’s report in 2021, the federal government says that other than the 29 suggestions largely or totally realized, one other 27 have been partially fulfilled.
At a information convention on Tuesday, Social Providers Minister Lionel Carmant mentioned “important progress” had been made on addressing the issues within the youth safety system. “Nevertheless it additionally serves as a reminder that the work isn’t but full. Reworking a system like this requires time, rigour, and consistency.”
Get breaking Nationwide information
Get breaking Canada information delivered to your inbox because it occurs so you will not miss a trending story.
Lesley Hill, nationwide director of youth safety, advised reporters there have been enhancements, however “the job isn’t but completed.”
“It’s a problem; we’re nonetheless coping with a system beneath strain. We do have some turnover amongst our workers,” she famous.
Tuesday’s report signifies that the federal government has made little or no progress on eight suggestions. Amongst them is the consolidation of youth intervention groups; the report says these groups usually are not deployed evenly throughout the province.
Nonetheless, the federal government says its new technique, launched in April, requires a provincewide rollout of youth intervention groups for advanced instances, significantly involving neglect. Hill mentioned calls about baby neglect account for half of all instances dealt with by the youth safety system.
“It’s very harmful for younger kids to be uncared for when it comes to their growth and even their survival in sure conditions,” Hill mentioned.
Carmant says that other than reforming the youth safety system, the federal government must work on altering the tradition. The general public is typically too fast to name baby safety, he mentioned.
“The principle cultural change we’ve got to maintain hammering house is that the Youth Safety Act is an distinctive legislation. We discuss neglect, however I might offer you a whole lot of calls (to youth providers) a few baby consuming the identical factor daily, or an autistic baby refusing to dress.”
Carmant mentioned the federal government is working to enhance front-line service suppliers, together with household medical doctors, social employees and psychologists, so that individuals have extra choices earlier than they name youth safety.
He mentioned that previously, calls to youth safety have been rising by 10-15 per cent per 12 months. Carmant mentioned that there was one other slight enhance in calls to youth safety this 12 months, a few 1-2 per cent enhance, and that he’s hoping to see a lower quickly.
A few 12 months in the past, Quebec appointed its first commissioner for youngsters’s well-being and rights, Marie-Ève Brunet-Kitchen. She launched her first report final week, urging elected officers to undertake a Quebec constitution of kids’s rights, which is among the many suggestions of the general public inquiry.
Carmant mentioned he doubts a constitution could be adopted throughout this legislative session; that work, he mentioned, should be completed following the October election.
© 2026 The Canadian Press

